Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Wanting to know

I run and walk in these beautiful circles of people of faith, and sometimes I wish I didn't. Not in a way that says I want to throw it all away, but in a way that I dream of some perspective. How do people not affiliated with the church, any church, see the church -- and not even folks who are hostile or disenchanted, but folks who are just sort of ambivalent, who are churched in culture but not theology. 

Recently I've had the privilege of being back in touch with a college friend, and I've been able to start to formulate some questions, to say, "when we're able to be together, can we talk about these things?" Because I'm curious, not because I want to promote my agenda (as if I had one) or because I want to sell something, or whatever. But because I want to know. 

Because right now, I'm feeling like I don't know much. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont have time to fully respond to your question, but in shorthand: I see the church as Bishop Spong sees it...it must change or die.

Pink Shoes said...

Would love to have further conversation about that might mean... what it would look like, etc. Sometime...

Amy said...

Yeah...I often wonder, why do people get out of bed on Sunday mornings? I was there for a few years - sometimes I did, sometimes I didn't. I'm not sure what made me when I did.

Di said...

This is such a good idea. We get so insulated.

jadedjabber said...

I'm one of the only "churchy" person amongst my oldest and dearest friends. Many of them have deep scars and pain from the church. Many, however, just don't see it as relevant to their lives. It never did anything for them when they were younger and still doesn't.

I have one friend who thinks the church is good at giving "excuses". Sometimes it is just the "spiritualization" of "every day life" sometimes it is the way the church "isn't rational".

We've had lots of talks about it. She just doesn't see the point.

1-4 Grace said...

Just doing some dropping by on various blogs I have not visisted recently.
I just interviewed with a church which says they want to grow, have more young families, and a vibrant youth program like that had X number of eyars ago...
But, they don't want to make any changes, they don't want to break with their current traditions and trends and they are not open to people of other cultures/ethnicities, or races. And nobody wants to volunteer to work with these groups of focus.
Hmmmmmm....
What to make of this one?
I lvoe your idea of being in touch with someone to ask questiosn,but with no agenda. Relationships are so key to any and everything