Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Weepy

I finished a book tonight, and toward the end, I got all weepy. OK, by the time I closed the cover, I was wiping hot tears from my cheeks. The book wasn't a literary masterpiece, by any means, but it was touching and sad.

As I was chiding myself for the tears over a silly book, I thought about the other times that I've cried recently -- a movie, a song on the radio. And then I remembered a pattern I've developed. I don't nap, even Sunday afternoons; instead I plow through the day and whatever exhaustion I'm feeling. When evening comes, after dinner and often with a glass of wine, I'll watch Ty's makeover home show. You know the one. We call it the weepy home show -- because I cry. Every. Week. It took me awhile to realize that this emotional release was helpful, necessary, whatever -- but that it is an emotional release.

So it was with the book, the movie, the song. In the many ways that I'm strong in many places, the emotions sneak up on me and I'm discreetly trying to wipe away the wetness on my cheeks before I reach my next destination, or turn the aisle in the store after looking at a particularly touching card.

When I sat down to write this, I thought, "I'm tired. It's been a long weekend." But that statement stretched into a question of week? couple off weeks? month? And so I found myself weeping tonight, tears that slid off the side of my face as I finished my book.

6 comments:

lutheranmom said...

Lately I find myself wiping tears away several times a day...over a book, t.v. show, blog post etc. I need that release too...

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Not that there is anything wrong with weeping (I'm a big-time cryer), but it sounds like you need what one of my friends calls a "Me Day" to recharge the batteries. You deserve it.

Pink Shoes said...

Ah, Ruth... what a gift that would be!!

Iris said...

(o)

Pastor Peters said...

isn't it fabulous to admit that this is what you're feeling and have friends uplift you? well, i hope you find that. i'm feeling whiny. not sure which is worse.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

(((((((Pink Shoes)))))))

I so relate. Better weeping over a silly book (or a wonderful tv show) than weeping at other times I could name.