Monday, March 19, 2007

He's my kid

I often joke that I was merely a stainless steel vessel, an incubator if you will, that had no real genetic involvement in the making of my child. He's looked nearly identical to my husband since birth. When people say, "I think he looks like you," I look at them as if they have two heads. I like to claim his nose (because I think it's cute and upturned), and that's about it. I also lay claim to his charming personality and when it shows, his sense of humor. A girl's gotta cling to something.

Tonight at dinner -- a real, live, out-to-eat at a restaurant dinner -- to celebrate a milestone occasion in my life that I didn't spend with my family, his meal came with dessert. Apple slices with caramel. Totally violating all double-dipping rules, the kid really could have gotten one apple slice and two small cups of caramel for all the apple that he ate. "Dipping," he proudly stated, holding an apple slice firmly between his fingers. "Dip-ping"

The crowning moment? When he picked up the caramel container, having determined that dipping was getting him nowhere fast, and tried to drink it.
"Sticky," he proclaimed all the way to the bathroom, charming everyone we saw. "No more sticky," he declared all the way back to the table.

6 comments:

1-4 Grace said...

Got my suprises today. Thanks!!! I haven't read book, but look forward to it since it is on our list. Thank you so much.
Great story. As I returned from youth retreat, we stopped at Mikey D's to have lunch. I headed to bathroom and a little guy was sitting in booth. He asked if I was going to the "potty." I told his I was and he then asked if i was going to the "gurls room." I again answered in the affirmative. He said, "'Cause youre a gurl! I go to the boys room, 'cause I am a boy! They learn so quick!

Pink Shoes said...

Glad to know that everything arrived! And that you haven't read the book.... always a chance!

reverendmother said...

Y'know, apples really are good mainly as a caramel-delivery mechanism.

1-4 Grace said...

The Twistables are great too! I used them whiel watchign Leno (Headlines is funny!)
Anyhow, have you discovered Wikki Stix? It is wax covered yarn in all shades and you can use it over and over. They are so cool

Iris said...

Cute, sweet boy!

Pink Shoes said...

Yep! :)