Thursday, March 16, 2006

Even-keeled

This is how someone described me this morning, as in an even-keeled presence. I wasn't offended by the description, but it's stuck with me. I'm trying to figure out if it's another term for "boring."

I've worked with people before who I definitely would not describe as even-keeled -- and I know that I don't want to be the type of person (pastor) who is unpredictable and moody. I have seen the reaction of sweet parishioners as a colleage rushes past them (not in my current setting), nearly out of control. I don't want that to be me. Certainly I have my moments when everything is rushing about me and I do want to scream.

I hope there is room for being passionate when one is even-keeled!

3 comments:

see-through faith said...

even-keeled is good :)

trust me, I want what you've got.

and you are passionate too!

be so blessed today and tomorrow and the next day too

GingerBarryBrandt said...

I would ONLY mean "even-keeled" as a compliment. And not as a synonym for boring! :) I'm not sure I am even-keeled myself, but I aspire to it. I sure love it in other people. It makes one attractive, when others don't have to worry about what mood they might walk into, or what personal drama might usurp the day's work to be done. My husband keeps his keel evened, almost all of the time, and it's nice! If the person who said this to you is a bit more dramatic or self-absorbed or all-emotions-on-the-sleeves (all sometimes my faults), then maybe he/she is admiring something good and different they see in you.

Pink Shoes said...

Thanks, y'all ... now if only I can maintain it!