Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Mushy

My kidlet is nearly 15 months old. I have no idea how that happened. Really, I don't. People would tell me when they saw us out after he was first born, "Oh, it goes so fast... pretty soon they're (insert activity of their child here)." And I got tired of people saying that because I just wanted to enjoy him at 6 days or 2 weeks or a month and not think about when he'd be walking/talking/going to school/driving a car/going to college... I hate it when others are right like that.

Tonight was a night of meetings for me at church; I was away for bedtime and got home well after he was sound asleep. I, of course, couldn't (can't) sleep. So, I picked him up out of his crib and held him -- rocking him in his sleep, more to soothe myself than him, clearly. By the light of the hall night-light I studied him, breathed in his scent, rubbed his knees, marveled at how he no longer fits neatly in my arms but instead spills over my arms and the sides of the chair. He has gotten "so big" and toddles and babbles all over the place. And while it's different than when he was 6 days or 2 weeks, it's perfect.

Special thanks to Will Smama for the reminder to pay attention to these little times of quiet.

4 comments:

Carolanne said...

I think you're on the right track! I loved every stage of my newborn...toddler etc. Each day brought me new delights watching my son grow. He is nearly 14 and I still enjoy his company. It is different to when he was a baby but just as special.
Enjoy every time, stage and growth. Life is precious!

reverendmother said...

Right there with you PS

erin said...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who scoops up the sleeping baby for MY OWN pleasure and sense of peace...we mommies need that sometimes. Good for you.

kwpershey said...

I love your ruminations about motherhood. Keep 'em coming. And send me a baby picture, do please! And a you picture, too!