Friday, October 07, 2005

A "Good Pastor"

So a while back I had some days of contemplation -- days in which large parts were spent thinking about things. Sometimes it spiraled into the abyss. Other times I was left to ponder seemingly simple questions.

I know that there's no right or wrong answer to this question, and I'm trying to formulate my own thoughts around it. But, what makes a good pastor? People say, "You're a good pastor" but what are they responding to? Because I laugh at their jokes and they think I'm "fun" and remind them of their granddaughter or daughter?

Is a pastor good (and I'm not even sure that's the language that I want to use) when she listens well, preaches with integrity and honesty, and can be a prophet?

Is a pastor good when she can be an administrator and have good follow through?

Is a pastor good when she facilitates not only meetings but growth and challenge?

Like I said, I don't know the answers (and I'm having a hard time articulating the question), but I am thinking about this.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think what makes a pastor good is subjective and relative. The question we need to ask ourselves and God is "what makes *me* a good pastor for these people in this time and place?" What is the meeting place between your/my gifts and the needs of the people you/I serve and the desire God has for them as family of faith? Some places that means thinking up programs and some it means preaching up a storm and some it means simply loving a group of people who feel unloved or unlovable.

Pink Shoes said...

Songbird, That's a really helpful way to think about this question -- you've put words to my quandry!! Thank you.

Unknown said...

I'm glad the words were helpful.

Anonymous said...

I second what Songbird said. The question is too subjective. We do want to be loved by our congregation (who wouldn't) but a better way to look at it is God put me here for a reason. How can my relationship with Him, the gifts talents and passions He has given me, become a gift from Him to this congregation.