Saturday, October 08, 2005

Reading

Just finished (ie, plowed through, was thoroughly unable to stop) reading Ruth Reichl's latest: "Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret LIfe of a Critic in Disguise." Reichl is currently the editor of Gourmet magazine but has been the food critic for both the LA Times and the NY Times and this memoir recounts the disguises she wore and the adventures she had while working for NY.

This is a fantastic read, especially if you enjoy reading about restaurants you'll never visit and food you'll never eat. She intersperses recipes, too -- a few of which look doable by even the most amateurish of cooks. Ah, if only I had a bit more time... anyway.

I'm always looking for my next good read. Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you read Marilynne Robinson's books, "Gilead" or "Housekeeping?" The first is my new favorite, and I am loving the second (which is much older), too.

Pink Shoes said...

I'm in the process of reading "Gilead" and really loving it... will look for "Housekeeping," too. Thanks!

Karen Sapio said...

I read Garlic and Sapphires too. My idea was to do the same disguise thing, only visit churches. That could be a book too!!!

Jody Harrington said...

If you're in the mood for a really funny book that includes recipes, try "Being Dead is No Excuse : The Official Southern Ladies Guide to Hosting the Perfect Funeral" by Gayden Metcalfe and Charlotte Hayes.

It includes lots of recipes for southern "comfort" type foods. I literally had tears running down my face at some of the quips in there.

Thanks for the tip about Garlic and Sapphires. I'm off to amazon to order it!

Anonymous said...

your reading sounds splendid. I love restaurant and cafe stories, but feel a bit out of it as I don't know the US well enough to understand the inside jokes sometimes.