Friday, February 17, 2006

Friday Five

Winter Olympics Friday Five
1) Which of the Winter Olympic sports is your favorite to watch?
I have many, actually .... but I enjoy many of the non-ice skating events, particularly luge and skeleton. The snowboard cross competition, a new event, had me mesmerized yesterday.

2) Do you speak Snowboardese?
Um, no. However, it's really fun to listen to my husband (who has maybe never been on even skis in his life) make it up.

3) Define Nordic Combined. Don't look it up. Take a guess if you must.
It's a ski race that is a combination of cross country and downhill (although not in the big hill sort of way). Part way through the race skiers change skis for the hillier part of the track.

4) Curling. Please discuss.
If you look at the listing of where the curlers come from, majority if not all, are from Minnesota. My home state. It's like bocce ball on ice if you could flatten the grass in front of the ball like you can smooth the ice in front of the rock. Don't knock it until you've tried it. It's harder than it looks and our local pbs station would broadcast curling tournaments for the minnesotans and the canadians, because it wasn't all that far to our friendly neighbors to the north.

5) If you could be a Winter Olympics Champion just by wishing for it, which sport would you choose for winning your Gold Medal?
If I also got the fitness to along with it? Probably one of the aforementioned -- luge or skeleton, or maybe bobsled.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think bobsled requires quite as much fitness as some of the others, except we were talking about medalling, so maybe so in that case!
Isn't there something where they ski-jump and then do cross-country?
(I know the one with the shooting is biathlon. At least I think I know it.)

Pink Shoes said...

Maybe the ski jump/cross country thing is the Nordic Combined? I haven't looked it up... per your instructions!

Unknown said...

Hey, I was trusting you! I haven't double-checked either.

Pink Shoes said...

According to MDH, it's the jumping/skiing combo thingy. Oh well!