Thursday, January 12, 2006

Sisters

I've always wondered what it would be like to have a sister.

I'm the only girl in a two-child family.

My brother and I are quite a few years apart and have never really developed that sibling bond. We're both far more like only children than kids who had a sibling. We live in different states and see each other for the occasional holiday that our schedules allow. I wouldn't call us close.

I see sisters in worship and think how lucky they are. I read the blogs of sisters and idealize their relationship -- thinking that the comments they leave one another and the references they make to one another are beautiful examples of what it means to be family. I know that it's not always that way and that there is plenty of strife that probably comes along with having a sister or two.

I know that I am guilty of idealizing the relationships that other families have -- whether sisters or brothers or simply close siblings -- while ignoring or at least minimizing the fights and name calling and bitterness that sometimes exists between siblings. And, that more than a sister, I want that ideal relationship with a sibling that doesn't really exist.

However, when I say it in my mind, it comes out like a little child petitioning a parent, "I want a sister."

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Oh, me too! I really am an only child, and I didn't mind in the least when I was growing up, but would so love my children to have cousins, and for there to be someone who shares much of the same body of memories.
But we muddle through, don't we, even though it would have been good...we think...